11.22.2010

A Thanksgiving


A Thanksgiving

For all Thy blessings given there are many to thank Thee, Lord,
But for the gifts withholden I fain would add my word.

For good things I desired that barred me from the best,
The peace at the price of honour, the sloth of a shameful rest;

The poisonous sweets I longed for to my hungering heart denied,
The staff that broke and failed me when I walked in the way of pride;

The tinsel joys withheld that so content might still be mine,
The help refused that might have made me loose my hand from Thine;

The light withdrawn that I might not see the dangers of my way;
For what Thou hast not given, I thank Thee, Lord today.

-- Annie Johnson Flint

1 comment:

Hannah M. said...

I'm thankful FOR Thanksgiving! :D Great poem, Sarah!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...